United States citizens who wish to travel to Indonesia for tourism purposes are subject to a visa exemption for stays of less than 30 days (with no extension possibilities). However, those who wish to immigrate to Indonesia from USA will need to acquire a visa in advance, according to the purpose of their stay.
Understanding the visa requirements is essential before scheduling your travel as overstays are subject to a fine and other measures.
When you choose to relocate to Indonesia from USA to open a company you will need to follow a number of key steps, starting with applying for and obtaining the right type of visa, in advance, that will allow you to remain in the country for more than 30 days for non-tourism purposes.
Working with a local team of immigration experts is common, as the language can be a barrier and foreign nationals will need to accustom themselves to the Indonesian culture.
The low cost of living, the climate, and the beautiful beaches are only some of the reasons why American citizens may choose to immigrate to Indonesia, particularly after having visited one of the most popular locations during a holiday. Read below to find out more about the general relocation process, the requirements and the issues to take into account when moving.
Table of Contents
Steps to immigrate to Indonesia from USA
Moving to Indonesia takes place in gradual stages, starting with obtaining the permit that allows for lengthy stays for personal or work purposes. Foreign nationals, including US citizens, have the following options:
- Obtain the ITAS: this is the temporary stay permit that allows the holder to work or start a company in Indonesia;
- Obtain the family visa: ITAS family visa allows the spouse of an Indonesian citizen to join him or her for longer stays (not suitable for work but can be used to immigrate to Indonesia);
- The visa for retirement: a US national can also apply for the temporary permit that allows them to remain in the country (after a certain age and after having had a tourist visa);
- Obtain the KITAP: this is the permanent stay permit that allows the holder to remain in the country indefinitely; this is available only after having held and renewed the KITAS permit.
Our team can give you more details about the conditions imposed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You can always reach out to us if you have questions on the routes that allow you to relocate to Indonesia from USA.
We are also able to assist those who are interested in knowing more about the investment option. Our team has experience in working with foreign investors in Indonesia and we can answer your questions.
Fees for applying for visas and permits
When you decide to immigrate to Indonesia from USA you should also take into account the general fees that apply. Here are some examples:
The following costs for temporary stay permits were valid when this article was written:
- Temporary stay permit on arrival: 53 USD;
- Temporary stay permit for 1 year: 105 USD;
- Temporary stay permit for 2 years: 140 USD;
- Temporary stay permit for the Special Economic Zone (5 year validity): 351 USD.
Permanent stay permits had the following costs:
- The five-year permanent stay permit: 351 USD;
- The five year permanent stay extension: 315 USD;
- The unlimited permanent stay permit: 716 USD.
American citizens can also be aware of the following costs for traveling, which may take place before they decide to move to Indonesia from USA:
- Visa on arrival: 35 USD;
- Multiple entry one-year visitor visa: 110 USD;
- Temporary stay visa: 150 USD;
- Temporary stay visa on arrival: 49 USD;
- Visa approval from the Director General of Immigration: 14 USD.
Do remember that the aforementioned costs for the permits and visas may be subject to change. We advise you to reach out to our immigration specialists before you decide to start the proves to immigrate to Indonesia from USA in order to find out more about any recently updated fees.
Apart from these fees, the application for the permit will also include supporting documentation which will depend on one’s particular situation. For example, in case of employment, the US national will need to provide proof of the employment relationship, along with identification documents and the required form, among others.
US nationals may choose to move to Indonesia from USA for a number of reasons, among which we can mention employment, business or family reunification. Irrespective of your purpose, they will need to follow the steps required to obtain the temporary stay permit, then the permanent stay permit.
Contact us today if you are ready to immigrate to Indonesia from USA and need specialized assistance during the application phase as well as post-arrival.